|George Strickland House|
Click on image for larger view
George Strickland built this home in 1869
for his wife Lucretra Welton Strickland. They were married August 26,
1867 in Ravenna. His father, Willis Strickland lived in the Salmon Carter
home next door. The two story brick house has a Victorian
The Strickland's had dairy cows and we have a photo in our files of the prize bull. According to the family Bible, George died March 22, 1903 and Lucretra died December 30, 1907.
When the Society acquired the home and six acres of additional property in 1971 it had been turned into three apartments. The Society rented these out for additional income. In September of 2000 the Society took over the full house and did away with all apartments. The home was repaired and decorated in many period pieces.
The Strickland House is now open for tours and small parties and meetings, with a limit of 30 people. Scroll down to view photos of the interior.
Portage County Historical Society, 6549 N. Chestnut St. Ravenna OH 44266
If you are interested in renting the house for a club meeting,
a bridal or baby shower, wedding reception, class reunion, Christmas party
or other function (maximum of 30 people) please call 330-296-3523.