Ford Seed Company
 
 

Click on image for larger view

 

The Ford Seed Company Collection is housed in a Photographers Studio that was originally located on South Street in Garrettsville. The early 20th century building was donated by Mrs. Nellie Hurd, a Garrettsville resident, and was moved to the museum grounds in 1976.

The building contained the original backdrop used by the photographer. There is also a large window just opposite the screen to allow extra light needed to take the photos. The building was used as a workshop before it came to the museum.

The Ford Seed Company was located on North Chestnut Street in Ravenna. It was founded in the early 1880's by Frank Ford who later passed the business on to his son J. H. Ford. The company was known worldwide for their catalog seed sales. The seed company was bought by Mr. Earnest Jones in the late 1940's. Mr. Jones was a member of the Historical Society and when he retired he gave the Ford Seed Company material to the Society. The museum was opened May 26, 1978.

The collection includes catalogs dating from 1895 to 1945, ledger books with customer names and the seeds they ordered, plus the counter from the store. The building is set up as a general store with many odds and ends that would have been for sale to the local residents of the day.

On July 5, 2002 the Ford Seed building was moved to a new foundation behind the John Campbell Land Office. New steps were also added. The outhouse is now between the two buildings. The space where the buildings were located will be used for overflow parking.

The building is open for tours, weather permitting.