Buildings & Other Acquisitions of the
Historical Society
 

The Historical Society grounds contain the following buildings and historical items. Click on each name for more information.

Portage County Historical Society, 6549 N. Chestnut St. Ravenna OH-

Thursday 2 to 5 pm

New Saturday Hours: 9:30 to Noon



Group Tours by appointment-call 330-296-3523

 
Museum on the upper main floor and the research/genealogy library on the lower floor. Main entrance is from lower floor. Museum is handicap accessible.
 
Greek Revival farmhouse built by one of the first generation settlers in the Western Reserve in 1835
 
George Strickland built this home in 1869. The Historical Society acquired it in the 1970s.
 
The Earl G. Proehl & Emmet J. Kline Clock Tower was originally at the top of the Portage County Court House in Ravenna and was removed when it was torn down in 1959.
 
John Campbell, a colonel in the Ohio Militia and a land officer, built the brick land office in 1810-1811 in Campbellsport, near Ravenna
 
The 1810 New England "Yankee Barn" was moved to the Portage County Historical Society in 1974. It had been located on Dawley Road in Ravenna Township.

 
 
The early 20th century photography building was moved to the museum grounds in 1976, used for display as general store
 
The Caisson and Limber was obtained from the U. S. Army by the American Legion to be used for military funerals held in Portage County
 
The Case Steam Engine is on display in the machine shed
 
An outstanding acquisition of an early Merts & Riddle Hearse was made possible by the Riddle family, numerous businesses and many individuals of Portage County.
 
The Milkhouse, originally built on the property, is now a Boy Scout Museum
The Outhouse is one of only a few remaining in the county, but not useable!
Indian Village built to scale-depicts life 2000+ years ago